Wednesday, July 9, 2008

the Purpose of Beaches

I've never been a beach person. I don't swim or sunbathe. But I figured I'd go across the street and walk along the beach since it's right there.

Crescent Beach is your average beach.

Crescent Beach, Maine

I watched people poking in the rocks for sea glass and shells. I meandered down to the water and a shell caught my eye, and I realized what a beach is for: jewelry! These people are going to take their shells home, put them in a box, and ignore them. People are going to wear mine.

I left with nought but a camera, and I came home with a double handful of sea treasure.

Crescent Beach, Maine

This particular beach also contains Mammoth Seaweed. Probably sabertoothed seaweed from some prehistoric undersea forest. I have included my foot for scale.

Crescent Beach, Maine

The fruits of my labors, having sat in a dishpan of soapy water overnight, are now drying on the back porch.

Crescent Beach, Maine

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What fabulous treasures you found!! and you discovered a new appreciation - the love of free materials!! :) Can't wait to see what you create!!